All right so the other night I was in the zone... We solidified our first retailer out of state - shout out to Brookville Butcher! - and to celebrate I wanted to do nothing other than, of course, cook! a smoked mac and cheese is something I've always wanted to do but never actually did. Let me just start by saying Worth. The. Wait.
P.s. This recipe is loosely based off another one I found online, but of course I adjusted things and added two of our Rub Me Right products to make it our own.
Mac and Cheese ingredients:
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups milk
2 cups grated sharp cheddar
2 cups grated Colby cheese
1 teaspoon RMR Smoked Sea Salt
2 tablespoons RMR Original
1 16-ounce package shells or macaroni (up to you)
1 cup Panko bread crumbs
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1) Cook the noodles according to packaging.
2) Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour to the butter and stir until smooth. Then add in the milk.
3) Reduce the heat to low and add the cheese, salt, and RMR Original to the saucepan. once the cheese has melted add in the noodles and remove from heat.
4) In a small bowl, toss the Panko breadcrumbs with the melted butter.
5) Coat the inside of a 3-quart casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray. Pour the mac-and-cheese into the casserole dish and spread it out evenly. Top the mac-and-cheese with the Panko breadcrumbs.
6) Fire up your smoker. We prefer hickory chips, so we got them going at about 275 for 45 minutes.
7) Remove from heat and wrap in foil til you're ready to serve! :)